Reckless Driving Essay
1064 Words5 Pages
As Americans we love our cars, trucks, SUVs, and motorbikes for many different reasons. One major reason is that they are an easy and convenient mobility; a personal mode of transportation. It is rather hard to imagine what this county would be like without all the roads and vehicles on them. This is abundantly evident in Arizona, where the majority of us drive to most all of our activities from going to work or taking the kids for an ice cream. We jump into our vehicle and go. However, a curious thing often happens when we get in our car, truck and SUVs. We sometimes change turning into someone different when behind the wheel of our vehicle. We can become inconsiderate and aggressive to other drivers; at times even becoming rude, crude,…show more content…
They are failure to yield the right of way, reckless, carless, erratic driving, failure to obey traffic signs, and other traffic control devices, and making improper turns (AAA Foundation (2009).
Arizona law makers took notice of the dangers that are created by aggressive drivers. The lawmakers amended the “Reckless Driving Section and amended the name of the statute 28-695 to Reckless and Aggressive Driving. Arizona statute defines aggressive driving as a situation in which a person commits a violation of speeding and at least two other traffic violations (i.e., failure to obey traffic control devices, improper passing, driving off the pavement or traveled portion of the highway, following too close, failure to yield right-of-way, or driving in a way that is an immediate hazard to another person or vehicle).” (ARIZONA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY , para. 2). This was an important step allow law enforcement a tool to make the roads safer. The serious problem is we should be trying to be safer on our own.
The question that should be asked is why are so many people are compelled to be dangerous drivers? It could be that there is a sense of invincibility when they are in control of a big powerful machine. This is often the case with younger male drivers, who enjoy the thrill of dangerous driving. In other instances normally calm, law abiding drivers snap in a fit of rage. This road rage can turn a driver from calm to instantly a monster behind the wheel,
Reckless driving is a type of traffic violation in which a driver displays complete disregard for on-the-road signs, signals, and laws. It is a common cause of car accidents, and, because it usually involves high speeds or extremely dangerous driving tactics, it often results in the injury or death of one or more people involved. Fortunately, a reckless driving accident can be prevented. By knowing reckless driving accident causes and following a few safety tips, drivers can keep themselves – and other drivers on the road – safe from harm.
Common Reckless Driving Accident Causes
A reckless driving accident is typically caused by one or more poor decisions by the driver. By following rules of the road and traffic laws, drivers can usually avoid this type of accident.
Common causes of a reckless driving accident include:
- Tailgating, or driving too close to the car in front of them.
- Failing to stop at red lights or stop signs.
- Driving too fast or exceeding the speed limit.
- Not using turn signals when changing lanes or turning.
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Driving while distracted, including talking on the phone, texting, playing with the radio, or eating.
- Failing to use headlights at night or in the rain.
- Making illegal turns or lane changes.
While these errors may not always result in a reckless driving accident, they can lead to a driver being ticketed or cited for a traffic violation. Each of these is illegal and makes the driver subject to fines, jail time, community service, and more.
Preventing a Reckless Driving Accident
Most reckless driving accidents can be prevented, simply by driving safely and per the rules of the road. Additionally, there are a few safety tips that drivers can follow to ensure they and their passengers are not victims of a dangerous reckless driving accident.
Some safety tips to prevent and avoid an accident include:
- Always steer clear of any cars or drivers that look dangerous. If you see a car weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating too closely or speeding excessively, move over a few lanes and get out of their way.
- Report dangerous drivers. If possible, call local police when you spot a driver operating their vehicle particularly recklessly. If a truck driver is the one doing the reckless driving, call the number of the back of their trailer and report it to their employer.
- Always wear your seat belt and encourage your passengers to do the same. Seat belts can go a long way in preventing injury in the event an accident occurs.
- Give yourself plenty of time to get to your destination. That way, you don’t feel rushed, and you’re not pressured to speed, take shortcuts, or put yourself and your passengers in danger by breaking traffic laws.
- Never drive distracted. Don’t talk, text, or eat while driving, and put your passengers in charge of the radio. This ensures you won’t cause an accident because of distracted driving, and it enables you to be on the top of your game in case you encounter a reckless driver while on the road.
- Be aware. Always be alert and aware when you’re behind the wheel. Never drive tired or under the influence of drugs and alcohol. You need to be ready to respond to the conditions of the road and the drivers around you in order to prevent accidents.
Despite the safety precautions you may take, you still could fall victim to a reckless driving accident. When this happens, you may be due compensation. Contact a San Antonio personal injury lawyer at the Law Offices of Pat Maloney today to begin discussing your legal options.