Famu Housing Room Assignment

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?
Student must submit a housing application and a $200.00 advanced payment. (Please see the prospective or current resident sections on our webpage, also review and retain the Terms and Conditions for your files)

Mail advance payment to:                           
Office of University Housing
1596 Gibbs Hall Trail                                                                                              
Tallahassee, FL32307-6000

How do I cancel my housing?
You must submit a written request for cancellation to the address listed above. If your cancellation is approved, you will be subjected to cancellation fees as per the Terms and Conditions. If your cancellation request is not approved, you will remain obligated to the Housing Agreement and financially responsible for the entire length of the Housing Agreement. Please read the Terms and Conditions prior to requesting a cancellation.
How much does housing cost?
Housing has varying room rates please see Rental Rate information.
Can my financial aid be applied to my housing?
Yes.  However, if a balance remains after financial aid is dispersed, you are responsible for the balance.
When is my housing payment due? 
 Fees are due by the fifth day of classes each semester.
Is it possible to pay for my housing in installments?
Yes, you may pay in installments provided your balance is paid in full by the fifth day of classes. 
How do I make my advance payment?
Advance payments can be made by mailing a money order or cashier's check to Florida A&M University Housing, 1596 Gibbs Hall Trail, Tallahassee, FL  32307.

You may also pay in person with cash, check, money order or credit card at the Cashier's Office located in Foote-Hilyer Administration Center.

How are assignments made?

All spring semester residences are given the opportunity to apply for limited returning student housing for the upcoming academic year. After returning students are assigned the application process will begin for new residents.  Housing assignments are made according to a combination of factors including: availability, date of application, roommate requests, and building/room preferences.  The Office of University Housing makes every attempt to honor requests.  Please keep in mind that it is not always possible to satisfy all of these requests.  Demand is high and we often can not honor all requests.
When can I find out who my roommate is?
Room-mate information will be given out or posted by the housing assignment staff.

How do I request someone to be my roommate?
Roommate requests must be submitted by both or all individuals on the housing application.  The Office of University Housing makes every attempt to honor roommate requests.  Please keep in mind that demand is high and we often can not honor all requests.
What if I need special accommodations?
Some of the residence halls have been equipped to better meet the needs of students with disabilities. Please contact Office of Equal Opportunity Programs at 850-599-3076850-599-3076. That office will conduct an assessment and forward their recommendation regarding your needs to the Office of Housing and Residence Life. You should also indicate on your housing application what your needs are regarding housing.
How long are the beds?  What kind of sheets will I need?
All beds in the residence halls are extra-long twin beds (80 inches).  You will need extra-long twin sheets, which are available at retail stores.
What should I bring to campus?
In addition to your personal belongings, you are encouraged to bring the following items: linen (a pillow, pillow cases, extra long sheets {36in X 80in}mattress pad, bed spread, towels, wash cloths, blankets, etc.), study lamp, rain apparel, shower shoes, soap, iron, ironing board and pad, alarm clock, dictionary, thesaurus, calculator, broom, dust pan, trash baskets, bath and laundry soap, laundry bag or basket, sewing kit, first aid kit, clothes hangers, and one or more power surge protectors (mandatory).
If you will be living in a University Apartment, you also need to bring cookware, utensils, dishes, shower curtains and necessary household cleaning supplies.
You may bring computers, stereos, televisions, microwaves, small refrigerators, and other electronic equipment.

Click link to view full list. ->   What should I bring to campus?
What should I not bring?
Regular household extension cords, halogen lamps, hot plates, toaster ovens, space heaters, candles, incense, fryers, electric skillets, electric grills or any potentially hazardous items.
Do I need curtains?
No, not necessarily; every window in the apartment has mini-blinds.  However, some students put up decorative curtains or sheers on light-weight curtain rods.
What type of computer connection is there in my room?
There is a wireless internet connection in each bedroom and facility. 
May I have a pet?
For health reasons, animals such as mammals, birds, insects, reptiles, arachnids, crustaceans, and amphibians are prohibited. If pets are found, a fine will be assessed to the owner of the pet for cleaning cost.

Immediate removal of the pet will be required and possible disciplinary action may occur.
Who will clean my room?
Although custodial workers are employed in to keep all public areas and public community bathrooms clean, you are expected to clean your own room, bathroom, and common areas in the apartment.
Do I have to get a meal plan?
Students living in traditional residence halls are required to purchase a student meal plan. Students living in apartment style facilities are not required to purchase a meal plan but may do so if you wish.  For information please visit the Meal Plan section on the FAMU website.
May I store my belongings in my room during the summer months? 
No.  Because the residence halls are used for summer school, camps, conferences, and under renovations during the summer months, students are not allowed to store any belongings or property on campus during the summer.
What is the move in date for the fall and spring semester?
Please see the University calendar for move in dates.
What is the move out date for both semesters?
Please see the University calendar for move in dates.
Can I remain in the same room I was assigned in the summer for the fall?

No, summer semester operates with limited facilities; therefore your summer assignment may have already been assigned for the fall semester.
Can I remain in the same room I was assigned in the spring for the summer?
No, summer semester operates with limited facilities; therefore the facility that you lived in for the spring semester may not be open for summer.
How or when can I request a room change?
At no financial penalty, residents may request room changes during the first two weeks of each semester. If approved, the move must take place during the third week of the semester and complete within 48 hours of approval. The room change form is available at the front desk of your assigned building or from the main housing office. Residents must understand this is only a request and will be honored at the discretion of the housing department staff and the availability of spaces.
Any room transfer requests that are received after the initial room transfer period (during the 3rd week of the semester) will be charged a $30.00 administrative fee. Residents who do not follow these procedures may have their requests for a room transfer denied. Residents who transfer rooms without written approval of the Office of Housing and Residence Life will be required to move back to their original room and may receive a $75.00 fine in addition to the administrative charge and/or disciplinary action will occur. End-of-the-semester room transfers must be completed BEFORE the students leave for the semester break. If this is not done, the request for a room transfer will be denied. Residents may also be reassigned as a result of a judicial sanction.

Are first time freshmen required to stay on campus in the fall if they stayed on campus in the summer?

Yes, If the student fails to qualify for an exemption as indicate below.

An exemption from the On-Campus Residency Requirement may be granted for:

  • Students graduated from a high school within 35 miles of the University's Tallahassee campus and will reside with a parent or legal guardiean within the 35 miles radius of campus.

              Required Documentation to be submitted with this form:

                     A notarized letter is required from the student's parent/legal guardian stating the
                     student will be living at home during the academic term and the Florida address
                     is their permanent residence.
                     A copy of a parent/legal guardian's valid Florida Driver's License is also required
                     to show proof of residency.


  • Married students
  • Students with a dependent child or children

  • Students 21 years of age or older prior to the first day of classes

  • Students who are military veterans that served on active duty for at least 12 months or students currently serving on active military duty

  • Students on a case-by-case basis by the President or President's designee provided there is good cause shown by the student


Does FAMU offer family housing?
The University does not offer family housing.



Fall 2018 Housing Online Application Process

Housing online portal will open
Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 9:00 a.m.

If you are NOT on a FAMU Scholarship then your account balance in
iRattler must be UNDER $500 to sign-up for a Housing room

(If you apply online you can choose your own room)

You must have an iRattler account to begin the Housing online process.
Please click on "IRattler" below to be redirected to iRattler.

For more detailed instructions on the online process click on
link below: "Housing Online Application Process"

Students seventeen years old and under must fillout a paper application.
A parent/guardian signature will be needed on application.
Click on "Housing Application" below to download a hard copy application. 

Applications are accepted until rooms are filled and a waiting list has been

If payment for housing has already been paid, please book/view your room
assignment by clicking on link below and following the prompts on the screen.

Paper applications are processed every Friday afternoon.  Please click on
"Book-View Room Assignment" link above or to the left to view room
assignments after your assignment has been processed.

 For any questions concerning the online process, please contact the housing office by telephone at: 850*599*3651 or 850*599*3652



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *